Monday, August 31, 2009

Tonight's Experiment with Single-Tasking

By chance I heard that tonight our public radio station was airing a percussion concerto during its monthly broadcast of the NC Symphony, so I let Bobby know and we turned it on. When he called to me that the piece was beginning, I left my computer and headed into the family room to listen with him. Here was my chance to do one thing: listen to music.


Here's what I noticed. My eyes immediately went to the bookshelf, then to the DVD/videogame shelf. I noticed this, and closed my eyes to maintain focus on the music. I soon felt sleepy, so I opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling. Eventually I started thinking about this post I would later write. I looked at Bobby, so was looking at the floor with his eyes soft-focused. I asked him a couple of questions. My eyes roamed back to the books and DVDs. I closed my eyes again. I got sleepy again. Back to the ceiling. I probably heard about 2/3 of the piece, maybe less.

I think this is going to be an important practice for me. I also think my mind could benefit from more regular meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment