Monday, August 31, 2009

Destroying Myths about Multi-Tasking

So these researchers at Stanford wanted to see what made multi-taskers better than the rest of us at dividing their attention so adroitly. But according to a piece in today's NY Times, they discovered the opposite: not only do they not have skills the rest of us lack, but the better they thought they were at multi-tasking, the worse they were at it!


I am slowly becoming aware of how easily distracted I am, and I am taking some steps to change my habits. I have removed sidebars from my desktop--those rotating pictures and constantly-updating headlines were not helping my productivity at all. I got rid of the alert box that let me know every time I had new work email--now I check my inbox when I feel like it, thank you. I listen to music while working less often. I only dial my cellphone when my car is not moving.


Still to accomplish: shutting off the cellphone while driving; ending automatic send/receive in Outlook; not typing while on the phone (and its sister distraction, web surfing when phone meetings get slow) and eating while not reading the newspaper. This last one will be the hardest, because, especially when traveling, getting to read while eating is an indulgence: two of my favorite things together!

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. I read a great article on this a while back, and it's totally changed my mind on multitasking. There is no way to make it a good idea.

    http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000022.html

    Here's the two results in summary:
    a) Sequential processing gets results faster on average, and
    b) the longer it takes to task switch, the bigger the penalty you pay for multitasking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As "She Who Multitasks" and lately feels foggy-brained and frantic much of the time, I am loving the new wisdom on this topic. However, I still cherish knitting while watching a DVD or TV, talking to a girlfriend while cooking dinner [though I sometimes pay with the results!], and doing just about anything while drinking a cocktail! Glad to find your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Maria--I think there could be too much of a good thing with this single-tasking stuff. I am digging a little Coldplay while posting tonight. And after a draining day of teaching, reading the NY Times over dinner by myself is my highest form of treat.

    Smythe, thanks for reading and sharing that link. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete